(Fwd) Vim version 5.0 RELEASED

Pavel Lisy pali na tmapy.cz
Pondělí Únor 23 17:14:29 CET 1998

O tomto se zde myslim diskutovalo. Je to urcite zajimave.

------- Forwarded Message Follows / Nßsleduje p°edanř dopis -------
To:            vim-announce na vim.org
Subject:       Vim version 5.0 RELEASED
Date:          Thu, 19 Feb 98 12:52:05 +0100
From:          Bram Moolenaar <mool na oce.nl>

Hello Vim users!

After more than a year of beta versions, bug fixing, inventions and stupid
mistakes: This is the real thing.

There are a small number of changes since version 5.0x.  I tried testing them
as well as I can, I don't expect any problems.

WHERE TO GET IT
---------------

You can find Vim 5.0 here:

	ftp://ftp.oce.nl/pub/vim/

Or use one of the mirrors (updated within in a couple of days), see:

	ftp://ftp.oce.nl/pub/vim/MIRRORS

unix/vim-5.0.tar.gz			Source files for Unix
beta-test/unix/vim-5.0x-5.0.diff.gz	Idem, diff with version 5.0x
extra/vime-5.0.tar.gz			Extra files for Unix and others
beta-test/extra/vime-5.0x-5.0.tar.gz	Idem, diff with version 5.0x

pc/vim50src.zip			Sources packed for DOS
pc/vim50d16.zip			binary+docs 16 bit DOS
pc/vim50d32.zip			binary+docs 32 bit DOS
pc/vim50w32.zip			binary+docs 32 bit Windows NT/95
pc/gvim50.zip			binary+docs Windows NT/95 GUI
pc/gvim50ole.zip		exe for Windows NT/95 GUI with OLE

amiga/vim50src.tgz		sources packed for Amiga
amiga/vim50bin.tgz		binary+docs for Amiga
amiga/vim50big.tgz		binary for Amiga with more features

os2/vim50os2.zip		binary+docs for OS/2

Note that the source archives don't have all the files.  This was done to
reduce their size.  If you want to get all the source files, get both the Unix
and the extra archive.

Hopefully the binary versions for BeOS, Macintosh and Atari Mint will be
available soon.

RELEASE NOTES
-------------

Changed:

- Removed: CTRL-B in Insert mode for toggling 'revins', to avoid that
  people accidently enter revins mode when missing CTRL-V or CTRL-N.  A
  mapping can be used instead.

Added:

- Included newer version of VisVim (Erhardt).

- Included Exuberant ctags version 2.0 (Hiebert).

Fixed:

- get_env_value() is a system function in Linux.  Changed to get_env_string().

- Problem with configuring Python on some systems, caused by "Entering
  directory" message from make.

- Because of a typo in os_dos.h, "$VIM\\_exrc" was never used.

- ":pop!" didn't work.

- When the reading of a buffer was interrupted, ":w" should not be able to
  overwrite the file, ":w!" is required.

- ":cf%" caused a crash.

- Win32 GUI: Default mapping for <S-Insert> in Insert mode was wrong.

- Lesstif (Motif) GUI gave an error message on exit (No Ext node to pop).

- MSDOS and Win32 versions sent t_op on exit, but they already have another
  way to restore the screen colors.  Could see "<[0m".

- Spurious "Undefined variable: foo" message, for ":w" with autocommand that
  has an ":exe foo" in an ":if" that isn't executed.

- When doing ":ta foo" twice, CTRL-T would work only once.

- When selecting a match from ":tselect", only the current window would be
  redrawn.

- cindent was wrong after "else {".

- ":gui longfilename", when forking is enabled, could leave part of the
  longfilename at the shell prompt.

- GUI Win32: Cursor positioning bug in Visual mode, when 'guioptions' contains
  the 'a' flag, after using "$".

- Removed: "os_w32exe.*" from Makefile.w32.  Wasn't used.

Happy Vimming!

--
The software said it requires Windows 3.1 or better, so I installed Linux.

--/-/------ Bram Moolenaar ----- mool na oce.nl ------ Bram na vim.org -----\-\--
  \ \     www.vim.org/iccf       www.oce.com         www.vim.org      / /

  Pavel Lisy --- system administrator (Solaris, Linux, Win95)
  _________
 |         |              T-MAPY s.r.o.
 |__     __|              Nezvalova 850       tel. +42 49 5513335
    |   |                 Hradec Kralove      fax. +42 49 5513371
   M A P Y                500 02            E-mail: pali na tmapy.cz
    |___|                 Czech Republic Europe