networking, cdrom

Alexandr Malusek malusek na hroch.ujf.cas.cz
Středa Prosinec 23 18:16:59 CET 1998

"Remco Ploeg" <remcoploeg na club.tip.nl> writes:

> And a other problem, my cdrom, how can i mount the cdromdrive forever,

Put a line like

/dev/hdb     /mnt/cdrom      iso9660     ro       0 0

into your /etc/fstab file. Don't use the "noauto" option.

> i must mount it every time.

I have no experience with Suse, but in RH 5.1 I can access my CD-ROM
via the /misc/cd directory. If I run "ls /misc/cd", then the CD is
automatically mounted by the automounter (/etc/auto.misc in RH 5.1) and
automatically unmounted after 60s of inactivity (/etc/auto.master in RH
5.1).

You even don't have to wait 60s for the automounter to be able to
eject the CD - just run "eject -u". I use the following line in my
/etc/fstab file

/dev/hdb   /misc/cd   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,nosuid   0 0

and

cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,user  :/dev/hdb

in the /etc/auto.misc file.

In other words, you don't have to use "mount" and "umount" commands to
work with your CD-ROM.

--
A. Malusek  (malusek na ujf.cas.cz)
UJF AV CR