Re: Výslovnos» LiNUX

Marek Antozi pavuk na perzeus.tuke.sk
Pátek Duben 9 15:20:26 CEST 1999

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 01:07:40 -0600 (MDT)
From: Steve Ki-Won Lee <kiwon na ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca>
To: Redhat List <redhat-list na redhat.com>
Subject: Re: URL of Linus T. saying "linux"

I heard that sound clip many times over when using sndconfig when it lets
you know if your sound's working alright.  But more to the point...

I can't imagine why in the world anyone would bring this dead issue up.

It don't matter how people pronounce it as long as they embrace and "get"
the whole ideal of what Linux represents; not just as a simple OS, but as
the freedom and the the good of what a concerted effort of dedicated
people all over the world can achieve, without the thought of language,
cultural and religious barriers.

Let's not bog ourselves down with this type of issues.

And FYI, Linus pronounces it "Lee-nix" because that's his "Americanized"
pronounciation.  In Europe, especially in Finland, they pronounce it
"Lee-nooks".  I know a couple of Finnish graduate students and they tell
me that's how it's really pronounced and they think Linus pronounces it
for the sake of the States people.

Steve