Linux and HD Wizard

Jam xgajda na fi.muni.cz
Čtvrtek Duben 15 03:30:22 CEST 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, lanfer wrote:

> I have a 486/66 that i have installed linux on. Right now it only has a
> 405mb HD. I would like to get a larger HD but my BIOS will not
> recognise any size over 500mb. Yes, I could slave another 500mb to get
> about a gig but I would rather be able to jump to, say, 2.4gb.
> Now, I understand that this is possible by using a piece of software
> called HD wizard that comes with larger HD's. The wizard lets the BIOS
> keep thinking the HD is still 500mb but allows you to utilize the
> complete capacity of your HD. My problem is that as far as I know the
> wizard only works in Windblows.
> Will it work in Linux?

 IMHO you don't need any Wizard, because if you leave the small disk as primary
 and boot from it then linux itself detects the second (large) HD. linux uses BIOS
 calls only for booting.

> If not, is there any type of program written for Linux that will
> preform the same function?

 if you want to trow away the old disk, you have to use EZdrive.
 it's a utility for accesing large drives in computers with old BIOSes.
 i've tryied it succesfuly in conjuction with linux. but u can't install
 LILO into the MBR, because it's place where the EZdrive resides.
 for EZdrive look at http://www.wdc.com/service/ftp/drives.html#ezdrive

                                      jakub "jam" gajda