Linux nebo GNU/Linux?

Stanislav Meduna stano na trillian.eunet.sk
Pátek Březen 26 22:32:10 CET 1999

On 26 Mar 1999 17:34:13 +0100, Pavel Janik ml. wrote:

: v konferenci linux-kernel teď běží zajímavý thread na téma zda kompletní
: prostředí, které většina z nás používá, je Linux

No zaujimavy moze byt, ale 1) tam nie je po prvy krat, 2) je
tam podla mna poriadne off topic (osobne si myslim, ze
je trochu OT aj tu, ale to necham na spravcu :-))

: Jaký je váš názor na tuhle problematiku? Velice mne to zajímá, protože mám
: takovou teorii, že v našich zemích je poněkud volnější atmosféra než
: jinde. Alespoň jsme v této konferenci ještě do těchto vod nezabloudili...

Toto je spolahlivy vyvolavac flamewar - som zvedavy, ci sa to
zvrhne aj tu :-)

Dopredu vravim, ze reagujem vseobecne a nie na momentalne
beziacu diskusiu - par dni som linux-kernel nesledoval.
Moje nazory sa opieraju o ine flame war tohoto druhu
v minulosti a aj o jednu vymenu nazorov priamo s RMS.

Islo o to, ze som sa isiel registrovat ako lokalizator
GNU software, chcel som si vyjasnit vyznam toho ich
disclaimera, neuvazene som pouzil v texte slovo Linux :-)
a bol som okamzite (aj s celym slovenskym lokalizacnym
mailing listom) obstastneny poucenim/prosbou:

=== snip ===
(By the way, when you say "Linux distribution", I think you
are talking about an operating system in which Linux is the kernel.
All these systems are modified versions of the GNU system.
Would you please call them GNU/Linux systems?  If you call them
just "Linux", the GNU project gets no recognition for what it has done.
Please see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.)
=== snip ===

Moja odpoved znela:

=== snip ===
Sorry, I don't want to engage in yet-another flame war and
will not to discuss this topic further, but since you asked
for it ... :-)

My opinion is different on this topic. I acknowledge the GNUs role
when talking about the utilities - I compile things using GNU
C compiler, I am using the GNU C library etc. But sorry, I don't
see GNU the only (or main) reason for the success of Linux.
I really think that it is the mature kernel together with
well-done distributions that brought the Linux 'to the masses',
something what GNU did not achieve (where's the Hurd ? - AFAIK
the idea is older than Linux).

It would be IMHO also unfair to acknowledge GNU in the name
and not to acknowledge at least the X11 folks the same way.

Secondly you are adressing the wrong person. The company whose
distribution I am using does not call the distribution GNU/Linux.
I think that the company has the right to choose a name for
the product - if you want them to change it, write them. Or try
to convince Linus - when he agrees, it would be certainly
an argument for me.

I don't think that trying to lobby for the name changing
in the mails that didn't ask for such discussion is a good
thing. You may get exactly the opposite result - that
people get the idea that you are trying to get fame for
the success you are not fully responsible for.

I am not Free Software Fanatic (pun intended). I even do
write software for money. I use GNU software daily and
I am willing to invest some of my resources simply to
'pay my debt' to the free software community and not
because I am interested in the religious issues concerning
free software. Free interfaces are another thing :-)
=== snip ===

Dalej uz Cc: na list odstranil, takze pochopitelne
jeho reakciu bez jeho suhlasu zverejnovat nemozem.

Takze tak :-)

Zdravi
--
				Stano