kakasniff & Linux List linux na muni.cz (cz.comp.linux)

Jan Derfinak ja na demax.sk
Úterý Květen 11 15:12:49 CEST 1999

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Peter Hofer wrote:

> My Linux Server was attacked, and I can´t login anymore. I found
> "kakasniff" running on the maschine. About this programm there was
> a discussion on the Newsgroup in 10/98 ans 11/98
>
> Can you help me:
> - What is "kakasniff" doing

kakasniff listen to your network interface (running in promiscuous mode) and
monitoring your network traffic. For example it can monitor logins and
passwords running over your network in plain text format (telnet, ftp,
pop3...)

> - How is it installed (which secuity whole)

I can't answer. I know too few about your system. (distribution, versions
of potential dangerous software (ftpd, pop3d, imapd ...))

> - How can I repair my system

If you are not experienced user, reinstall whole system. Some programs in
your system may be altered.

						jano

--
----- I can't get no satisfaction -----