XFree 4.0 ... hura!

Petr Kolar Petr.Kolar na vslib.cz
Neděle Březen 12 11:26:25 CET 2000

Do p.....! Tak jsem se pricinil o dalsi problemy s lokalizaci.

Cejka Rudolf <cejkar na kazi.dcse.fee.vutbr.cz> wrote:
> Petr Tomasek <tomasek na etf.cuni.cz> wrote:
>
> > Uz to víte, XFree 4.0 je na sviti!
> > http://www.xfree86.org/
> > Wow!
>
> Ja rikam "A sakra, pozde...". Kvuli ceskym fontum.
> Treba to vysvetli Petr Kolar. Ja se na to necitim.

:-( Vysvetlim, dopisy schovavam:

From:     Petr.Kolar na vslib.cz
To:       David Dawes <dawes na rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Subject:  Re: Including Latin2 fonts with XFree86
Date:     Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:44:43

                   Hello

> We (XFree86) have been contacted by a Hungarian XFree86 user about
> including some Latin2 X11 fonts with our releases.  I've just downloaded
> the fonts you have on your ftp server.  Do you have any objections to
> us including them with a future XFree86 release?

   No, I have no objections. It will be wonderful if these fonts would
be in the XFree86 distribution. But my fonts contain several mistakes:

- Courier fonts are not fixed-width (i.e. it is impossible to use them as
  terminal fonts). I have made the tool to create proportional fonts...
  I started to repaire them, but I have not finished it.
- [AaE]ogonek have badly placed ogonek (I have now a fix of it)
- tcaron in some italics fonts has absolutly badly placed caron - on the
  left side of the letter! (it is really apostophe, at least in Czech,
  but I hope tcaron is being used only in Czech)
- Some other accents should be placed more appropriately.

And there is also problem with copyrights. If I understand well, there are
no problems with Adobe fonts (it is possible to modify and redistribute
them free of charge, if copyright notice is retained). But modified Lucida
fonts should not be named Lucida. I did no negotiations with the author of
Lucida fonts. Maybe you have more experience with this topic...

   The fonts was created from X11R6 distribution using a very dirty Perl
script. The script is capable to create ISO Latin-3, and ISO Latin-4 fonts,
too, but some glyphs not contained in the original files would be missing.
Do you want the script/fonts?

> David

                                                        With best regards

Nekdy na podzim 1997 jsem Courier fonty opravil (LucidaTypewriter myslim
ze ne), a vystavil na Internetu, ale protoze v te dobe vsichni zacali
pouzivat fonty od Biznetu, tak jsem ani XFree neoznamil, ze si je maji
stahnout. Vystavene fonty zmizely po havarii disku na nasem FTP serveru
(jejich kopii ale mam, po nedeli je vystavim).

Cili co to znamena: neproporcionalni ISO-8859-2 fonty z XFree 4.0 nejde
pouzit jako fonty pro xterm a dalsi terminalove emulatory.

O opravenych fontech napisu XFree, ale jak rychle zareaguji, a kam se
mezitim staci chybne fonty dosirit, je otazka. "Skvele" bude, az se treba
zitra objevi v RH 6.2 (nevim, kdy ma byt RH 6.2, ale bude to brzo).

                                                         S pozdravem
--
                          ***  Petr Kolar  ***
 Department of Information Technologies, Technical University of Liberec