What is the Key sequence to kill an X session

Martin Mokry martin.mokry na nr.ubp.sk
Pátek Březen 23 09:18:03 CET 2001

> Hello,
>
> We have just installed Oracle 11.5.3 for RedHat and needed to
> reboot the
> system. When the system came back up it froze at the X
> session startup. I
> need to know what the key sequence is to kill the X session
> and bring me
> back to a command prompt.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michel Monette

Key sequence to kill X server is CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. But if you have
selected grafical login, then X server will start (and froze) again.
There is a key sequence to switch between X sesion and command prompts
(shells) in text mode. From X session you can press CTRL+ALT+Fxx
(F1,F2,F3,...) to switch in command prompt. By pressing ALT+F7 you will
switch back to X session. If you will turn off grafical login, then from
command prompt run your system setup utility, in your case linuxconf.

Sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language.
--
  Martin 'MegaSoft' Mokry        UBP a.s.
  network & system manager       Coboriho 2