OT: co (kdo) je geek

Martin `MJ' Mares mj na ucw.cz
Neděle Září 16 22:06:58 CEST 2001

> > clovek s nevsednimi vlastnostmi
> oprava: s nevsednimi schopnostmi

Zdroj z nejpovolanejsich, konkretne The New Hacker's Dictionary udrzovany
Ericem Raymondem (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/jargon.html) rika:

| A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues
| skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social
| acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia. Most geeks are adept
| with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers
| themselves - and some who are in fact hackers normally call themselves geeks
| anyway, because they (quite properly) regard `hacker' as a label that should be
| bestowed by others rather than self-assumed.
|
| One description accurately if a little breathlessly enumerates "gamers, ravers,
| science fiction fans, punks, perverts, programmers, nerds, subgenii, and
| trekkies. These are people who did not go to their high school proms, and many
| would be offended by the suggestion that they should have even wanted to."
|
| Originally, a `geek' was a carnival performer who bit the heads off chickens.
| Before about 1990 usage of this term was rather negative. Earlier versions of
| this lexicon defined a `computer geek' as one who eats (computer) bugs for a
| living - an asocial, malodorous, pasty-faced monomaniac with all the
| personality of a cheese grater. This is often still the way geeks are regarded
| by non-geeks, but as the mainstream culture becomes more dependent on
| technology and technical skill mainstream attitudes have tended to shift
| towards grudging respect. Correspondingly, there are now `geek pride' festivals
| (the implied reference to `gay pride' is not accidental).

Pro uplnost, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary definuje:

| Main Entry: geek
| Pronunciation: 'gEk     [pozor, na zacatku je opravdu `g', nikoliv `dz~']
| Function: noun
| Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low
| 	German geck, from Middle Low German
| Date: 1914
| 1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually
| includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
| 2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of

					Preji pekny vecer
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj na ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"Dijkstra probably hates me." -- /usr/src/linux/kernel/sched.c