Future: Linux will replace Microsoft Windows getting 98% desktop market!

Stephen Plumb steve na checkitsystems.com
Čtvrtek Únor 28 16:58:04 CET 2002

I tend to agree on the broad suggestions that you make.However I will share
my tupence worth. I went to the local computer vendor the other day and
looked at the Microsoft XP professional . About R5 500, Microsoft Office XP
Professional. About R7 500. That means for me to equip my four office
machines with MS OS plus office comes out at R52 000. This is before I start
with Dev Studio or anything else. By comparisson I can build a reasonable PC
inc monitor etc for about R10 000.00. This would be a AMD system that runs
say two speeds below their current range topper.

Now in Salary terms you can pretty much put a $ in place of the South
African Rand, but as of the recent crash it is around 11ZAR to the USD.
Since that little walkabout I am examining exactly what I can achieve on
Linux.

I have not yet found anything to match the ease of development of VB but I
have had a look at Kylix and it has promise. I will still have to do a
little development on MS for outside users, but all my internal work and
analysis is going to be moving across to Linux as soon as I can recode all
the algorithms into C++. This will take a while but it is better in the long
run for me.

I must now, sadly, regard South Africa as a 3rd world country and quite
frankly MS is just too expensive even though I agree it is nice and easy to
use, and even here it is still prevalent. I know that other 3rd world
countries like India are heavily into Linux because they too have a weak
currency. I have also heard of many acedemic institiutions going linux as
they cannot afford to Site Licence MS.

I see price as the thing that will ultimately loose MS marketshare. If they
considered a 3rd World Structured pricing stratergy then I may be persuaded
to look at them again but for now my efforts are focused on how I can get
linux onto the desktop, and like owning a Landrover, I suspect there will be
no return once I am converted.

I just wish there was more support in terms of applications but I think the
tide is turning, and each time I look around there is more available. In
terms of Hardware support, my purchasing decision will be influenced by the
support for Linux.

We shall have to see how it all pans out in the next ten years or so. I
don't hate Bill. No one forced anyone to use MS, he was just cunning and, as
has been said, MS marketing is very good. I just want to see Linux as a
viable alternative choice that you don't have to be a complete geek to run,
and I think it is getting there fast.

Regards
Stephen