Newbie help: connecting to Internet with a laptop and an external modem Thank youi

Michael Wandinger _michael.wandinger_ na pfaffenwinkel.de
Neděle Květen 19 20:12:25 CEST 2002

Hi Roger,

Roger Jargoyhen wrote:

>>From: "Roger Jargoyhen" <jargoyhen na volny.cz>
>>
>>>I have connected to the serial port.
>>>
>>Alas, I have a problem when I use KPP:  this external Deskporte modem,
>>however
>>
>>>unrecognized by HardDrake, answers that it is ready, answers to AT
>>>
>>commands,
>>
>>>but when i try to connect answers: "no dial tone". I am pretty sure the
>>>
>>line
>>
>>>is good because it is working with my (grr..) Winmodem. How to get out
>>>
> of
>
>>>this trap? For futher information (it could have to do with modem
>>>
>>settings),

Normally this message will happen, if you are working within a
telecom-unit, which needs a zero to get connect to phone-net.
kppp has an option like "do not wait for dial tone".
Maybe you need the zero in front of you dial-number.

>>>i am living in Czech Republic. I tried ATDT then ATDP but to no avail.
>>>
>>>I read nothing in FAQ about this kind of problem.
>>>
>>>Thank you for any tip.

Greetings

Michael