XFS VYRIESENE + poznamky *WAS* Re: HOWTO doinstalovat ttf fonty do XFree

Peter N. Vargo (LTS) konfery na lentus.sk
Pondělí Říjen 13 21:37:44 CEST 2003

Kedze sa mi pri "hrani sa" s fontami a XFS podarilo zozbierat par
zaujimavych info, mozno sa to este niekomu zide.
Hlavne kvoli prehladu v cca 6-tich (!)  XFS "systemoch".

ENG:
xfs-xtt - X-TrueType font server
xfstt - TrueType Font Server for X11 - vraj nie je taky dobry a nema nejake
tie properties
xfs - X font server
xfstt is a TrueType font server for Linux. It's useful, but xfs is probably
a better choice.
xfsft The xfsft font server. Note that this is included in xfs.
x-tt is a font server designed to handle Korean and Japanese fonts.

fslsfonts - server unix/:7110

/root#apt-cache search xfsft
ttmkfdir - An utility for creating fonts.scale file for TTF fonts.

xfstt is a TrueType font server for Linux. It's useful, but xfs is probably
a better choice.
xfsft The xfsft font server. Note that this is included in xfs
 - cize by to uz malo byt v samotnom XFS; este treba doinstalovat libraries

Xfstt is a font server designed exclusively to serve TrueType fonts to the
local machine. As such it supports only TrueType fonts and makes the
assumption that the client has the same byte order as the server, so if you
want to use the font server to serve other types of fonts and/or serve fonts
to multiple machines on a network, you are probably better off using xfsft
(see below).

xfsft+x-tt:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-03/guru_02.html
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jec/programs/xfsft
http://hawk.ise.chuo-u.ac.jp/student/person/tshiozak/x-tt/
http://X-TT.dsl.gr.jp
ut several servers have been created specifically for TrueType fonts: xfstt
(the first TrueType font server), x-tt (a TrueType font server well-adapted
to serving Asian-language fonts), and xfsft, which is the one that I will
discuss here.

Xfstt isn't the only way to use TT fonts in a Linux X session. Another
project consists of a series of patches to the XFree86 source which will
enable X's native font-server to provide TT fonts. Confusingly, the name of
the project is xfsft. The home page of this effort is a good central site
for other information on the web concerning TrueType fonts and Linux. It can
be accessed here. A link on the page will take you to the FTP site where the
patches can be found. The site also contains links to screen-shots of
Netscape displaying TT fonts.

The Freetype project is yet another approach. It isn't an end-user
application or server, but a library intended for use by programmers
desiring to embed TT support in their applications; the project home-page is
here.

Some of the newer Linux distributions ship with the X font server xfs
configured to run as a stand alone program. Notably, Redhat and all the
redhat based distributions use this modularised xfs with TrueType compiled
in. Debian also ship xfs, but the version they ship doesn't have built in
true type support.

dobre linky:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-03/guru_04.html
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO-11.html
http://www.freetype.org/
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/index.html#features
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO-4.html
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO-14.html
http://linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/mini/TT-Debian-1.html - velmi dobre, hlavne
linky z prvej casti, perfektny popis v druhej a "in medias res" v tretej
sekcii :)

CZ/SK:
xfs - zatazenie CPU 0.7-1.5. pri min. praci
1. odstranit "divne" fonty
2. odstranit ne-defaultne Type1 fonty
3. pouzivat "normalne" a NAJNOVSIE xfs (popr. ako freetype) s defaultnou
konfiguraciou
4. XFree 4.2.x a vyssie
xfs pri pouzivani 20-timi uzivatelmi a cca 20default+200-700 TrueType
fontov - CPU zataz 0.04-0.27
http://linuxdesktop.kn.vutbr.cz/index.php?link=112