State of the GnuCash project, a call for help

aw aw na net.org
Středa Duben 28 17:42:39 CEST 2004

The GnuCash project is having a hard time. I think most everyone agrees
that GnuCash is a critical piece of software for the GNU/Linux desktop.
It's also one the largest free software projects. How big is it? GnuCash
currently has 287,853 physical source lines of code (SLOC). For example,
had the current GnuCash CVS been included in RedHat 7.1, it would come in
21st position in code size (see http://www.dwheeler.com/sloc/). At that
time, the current GnuCash CVS source would have been pretty similar in size
to qt, postgresql or perl, about 60% of Gimp and between 12% and 16% of
Xfree, Mozilla or the Linux kernel. Although GnuCash comes up in every
discussion of needed software to get GNU/Linux on the desktop, the GnuCash
project currently has only about seven active developers (active being used
very loosely here, considering I included myself) and enjoys far less
exposure than many projects of a similar size.

We may be headed for a dead end if we don't reorganize and refocus our
efforts. GnuCash badly needs more manpower (not just developers), and needs
to get it quickly.