[Fwd: who is merlin.fit.vutbr.cz?]

Petr Sebor petr na scssoft.com
Pondělí Březen 29 09:16:19 CEST 2004

Sorry za preposlani, ale tady to mozna adresata zastihne jednoduseji...

P.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: who is merlin.fit.vutbr.cz?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:08:29 -0800
From: lm na bitmover.com (Larry McVoy)

Folks, I need your help.

I can't tell if this is a DOS attack or someone with a REALLY slow net
connection.  Whoever this is has been cloning the linux 2.6 (aka 2.5)
tree on bkbits so slowly that the tree is locked for days and can't
be updated.  About once a day I go kill the clone because stracing it
shows it doing nothing.

Linus and Andrew M are annoyed enough that the tree isn't getting updates
that they complained to me.  Makes me feel bad when they do that so that's
why I'm looking for help.

In case people want the details, we have a long standing arrangement
wherein Linus updates linus.bkbits.net and we update from that and then
update the linux.bkbits.net tree, i.e., the official tree.  That's because
Linus got frustrated with waiting for locked trees so he got one that
can't be locked, pulls/clones from it are disallowed unless you are me
or him.  So we go through a little hop skip and a jump where he pushes
to his tree, we pull from that, and then we push to linux.bkbits.net.
That way he never waits on a push.   It's good to be Linus :-)

Anyway, we've suffered more than enough bad press so before I
assume that this host is a rogue and filter them, does anyone know who
merlin.fit.vutbr.cz is?  If they really have that slow of a connection
we'll burn a CD and Fedex it to them, nobody should suffer that much.
But if this is just a DOS, we'll nuke 'em.

Thanks,