Firefox and Debian ** Petition

Jan Kunder jan.kunder na gmail.com
Pátek Říjen 13 22:00:45 CEST 2006

http://www.petitiononline.com/debffx/petition.html

To:  The Debian Project and the Mozilla Corporation

We consider present disagreement over use of the name "Firefox" in
Debian GNU/Linux to be highly damaging to Firefox, to Debian, and to the
cause of Free Software in general. We urge you to reconsider your
positions and reach an amicable agreement that allows Debian to continue
to distribute Firefox under its true name, however hard that might be
and however deeply entrenched your positions.

We understand that trademarks must be protected or lost.

We understand that the principles of Freedom are too important to
compromise.

We understand the importance of the Firefox brand.

But we tell you this: you made the browser, but we made the brand. We,
the users, downloaded Firefox in our millions, we bought the T-shirts,
we sponsored the adverts, we enthused to our friends about this cool new
browser, we installed it on the computers of our relations when they
asked us for help. We made Firefox the global success it is today, and
we will not stand by and let this dispute undo all of that.

By accident or design, the name "Firefox" is as perfect as a brand name
can get. It unites two words charged with symbolism and emotion to give
the name of possibly the most appealing animal on Earth, the Red Panda.
This dispute can only damage that brand, and set back the cause of Free,
high quality software, written by the people, for the people, in which
we all believe.

We know this will not be easy. But goodwill and creativity will always
find a way.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

--