Help Installing Java runtime env. to work with with a plain Linux browser

Michal Vymazal gandalf na mbox.vol.cz
Čtvrtek Srpen 22 20:36:59 CEST 2002

Roger Jargoyhen wrote:

> I use Linux Mandrake 8.0 and am a newbie.
> I wish i could run java programs smoothlessly on a browser so i can play
> on Yahoo chess server.
>
> I downloaded jre 1.3.1. from Sun and installed it on /usr/java/ (took me
> some time mainly because i did not succeed easily to extract from
> rpm.bin....)
> Now i try to get at least one of my three Linux browsers to run Java
> applets, that is to say either Netscape 4.71, or Opera 6.02 or good new
> Konqueror.
>
> Whatever i try, up to now, Opera and Konqueror don't charge applets.
> Netscape stops running after a while and do not work properly.
>
> I understand i must inform each program on the proper path to find either
> the Java program or Java plug-in.
>
> In all the documentation I read about it (many pages indeed),
> 1./ I do not understand what PRECISE action i have to undertake when they
> speak about NSX_PLUGIN_PATH, or OPERA_PLUGIN_PATH and
> how to set this kind of variable (with Terminal, with browser, else?).
> 2./ I do not know by the way which PRECISE file i must target for this
> purpose.

But this is simply too.
Ad 1) Set the variable in your .bash_profile  file. After this logout and
login again. The variable will be set in your environment now. But better
is to copy the plugin file in to the /usr/lib/location
For example, for mozilla 1.1a is /usr/lib/mozilla1.1a/plugins

> I tried to do my best but to no avail. Is there a simple way to tune my
> browsers so that i can use Java runtime environment ?
> I am frustrated because under XP and MSIE, everything goes well... and
> simply.

What is XP and MSIE. Some new Perl modules?

--
Michal Vymazal
gandalf na mbox.vol.cz