Help ! Big mailings

Andrzej Filip anfi na bigfoot.com
Sobota Listopad 4 15:46:00 CET 2000

Thomas de Konink wrote:

> I'm looking for a sollution to speed up a weekly mailing of 140.000
> e-mails.
> I'm using sendmail on a Linux machine. The mailing takes a long time (24
> hours) and causes a high server load (> 4.0).

Do you send personalized messages ?
[ One message per recipient ]
How do you submit messages to sendmail ?
[ e.g."sendmail -odd recipeunt" or via smtp ]
Do you use multiple queue directories ?
[ available since sendmail 8.10]
How fast is your internet link ?

> Questions:
> 1) Is there another mailer I can use instat of sendmail, which is faster
> and more efficient ?

This is sendmail newsgroup [  :-) ]

> 2) Is there a way to tune up sendmail, so it works more efficient ?
> (e.g. putting mail directly in queue instat of trying to send it first ?)

Putting messages directly in the queue is more efficeint BUT
consider using special queue and special sendmail.cf to process the
messages as non root user [ Do not use main queue directory
owned by root - it creates security risks ]
To process your special queue(s) use (as non root):
sendmail -q -oQspecial-queue-path -C special-sendmail-cf-path

--
Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip         http://bigfoot.com/~anfi
anfi na bigfoot.com   anfi na polbox.com   anfi na sdf.lonestar.org