Censored delivery notification

Kari Hurtta hurtta na leija.fmi.fi
Neděle Listopad 12 07:47:04 CET 2000

Ivan Dolezal <Ivan.Dolezal na usa.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> My users love when they can receive forwards of their mail as cellphone
> SMS or pagers.
> It's easy: Name.Surname:  name na machine, +420600123456 na sms.telco.cz
>
> However when SMS/e-mail gateway crashes and loses all information (what
> is, unfortunately, pretty common these days), an e-mail sender gets a
> message like
>
> While talking to sms.telco.cz:
> << +420600123456 na sms.telco.cz (expanded from Name.Surname) ... 550 User
> unknown
>
> This is an evident corruption of privacy, because this reveals a user's
> cellphone number to a sender, so I'd need Sendmail 8.11.1 to answer
> something like:
>
> While talking to sms.telco.cz:
> << CENSORED na sms.telco.cz (expanded from Name.Surname) ... 550 User
> unknown
>
> Is there any better way to do it than hacking
> sendmail/savemail.c:errbody with something like
> anonymize(q->q_paddr) , where anonymize is my own char* function doing
> the dirty job?
>
> Or any other ideas?

Play with owner-* aliases so that bounce will not go to original sender.

Example:

Name.Surname:  name na machine, +420600123456 na sms.telco.cz

becomes

Name.Surname:  name na machine, sms-name-surname
sms-name-surname: +420600123456 na sms.telco.cz
owner-sms-name-surname: name na machine

You can replace owner-sms-name-surname: name na machine
with

owner-sms-name-surname: postmaster

if you want bounce to go postmaster (instead of user).

I do not have complete sure what happens if both
name na machine and +420600123456 na sms.telco.cz causes error.
In other words is on that situtaion on transcript for
name na machine error also error text from +420600123456 na sms.telco.cz
address. But because owner-* alaises causes envelope to
be splitted, you should expect that error message goes to
different transcript.

--
          /"\                           |  Kari
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign |    Hurtta