[Fedora TeX Live] updmap.cfg issues

Pjotr Markevitch pjotr.markevitch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 19:23:22 CEST 2011

Pjotr Markevitch <pjotr.markevitch at ...> writes:

> After a fresh TL2011 install on fedora 15 x86_64, I encountered similar issues
> as reported on this mailing list regarding the updmap.cfg config file.
> Specifically, I observe similar problems as
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.texlive/67
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.texlive/28

[...]

> When the updmap-sys command is run for the first time, the file
> '/usr/share/texlive/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg' is copied to
> '/usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg' and the map files are
> updated. Additionally, '/etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg' is created as hardlink to
> '/usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg'.

[...]

> On an old install of TL2010, issuing 'ls -il /usr/share/texlive/texmf{,-
> config}/web2c/updmap.cfg' shows that the 'updmap.cfg' files in the texmf and
> texmf-config directory used to be hardlinks to the same file (shown by the
> identical inode number).

[...]

Hi all,

Just for the sake of correctness, I would like to add that, in fact,
'/usr/share/texlive/texmf-config' is a symbolic link to '/etc/texmf', and in the
same way, the 'texmf-config' folder used to be a symlink to 'texmf'. So forget
the parts about hardlinks etc. Meanwhile, I found the following interesting line
in 'http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/texlive/texlive.spec':

# link config dir to the main tree and var dir to root
pushd %{buildroot}%{_texdir}
[ ! -e texmf-config ] && ln -s %{_sysconfdir}/texmf texmf-config
[ ! -h texmf-var ] && ln -s %{_texmf_var} texmf-var
popd

However, this spec file is just for reference and is not used during the
installation of the TL2011 rpms. Maybe this part should be added to the
scriptlets in some texlive package, like 'texlive-base'?