[Fedora TeX Live] updmap.cfg issues

Pjotr Markevitch pjotr.markevitch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:50:47 CEST 2011

Richard Heck <rgheck at ...> writes:

> I am having this same problem on a fresh install of F15 and TeXLive
> 2010. I.e., I get:
>
> /home/rgheck/ > sudo updmap-sys --listmaps
> updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11 17:53:34Z
> karl $
> updmap: using transcript file
> `/usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log'
> Map mathpple.map
> MixedMap mflogo.map
> Map lm.map
> MixedMap cmtext-bsr-interpolated.map
> Map fge.map
> MixedMap tipa.map
> MixedMap rsfs.map
> MixedMap xypic.map
>
> which looks a bit light, and any document using any but the completely
> standard fonts fails to compile. That said, however, I do not seem to
> have anything in /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config:
>
> /home/rgheck/ > ls /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/
> ls-R
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to get the system working.
>
> Richard

At least on TL2011, the command updmap-sys used to find the config directory is
'kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFSYSCONFIG'. Next, updmap-sys tries to find the file
'web2c/updmap.cfg' in this folder. Therefore, it is not necessarily a bad thing
that your texmf-config folder is empty. To see the contents of the used
updmap.cfg file, do
'less $(kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFSYSCONFIG)/web2c/updmap.cfg'

First, you could try to update the ls-r caches and update the map files:

sudo mktexlsr
sudo updmap-sys

This should regenerate the needed files to support the fonts mentioned in your
updmap.cfg file. Now, to add the missing entries in your updmap.cfg, first you
should find the texlive packages which provide *.map files:

yum --disablerepo=* provides '/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/*.map' | grep
'texlive-' | cut -f 1 -d ':'

Verify this command outputs texlive font related packages, without the texlive-
tetex package. Next, remove these packages and reinstall them (as root):

packages=$(yum --disablerepo=* provides '/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/*.map' |
grep 'texlive-' | cut -f 1 -d ':'); rpm -e --nodeps $packages; yum install -y
$packages;

Now all entries should be present in the updmap.cfg file, and everything should
be ok. If not, you should find the updmap.cfg file that was updated by rpm,
which can be derived from the install scripts:

rpm -q texlive-amsfonts --scripts

Next, copy this updmap.cfg file to the correct folder (which is 'echo
$(kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFSYSCONFIG)/web2c') and reissue the 'updmap-sys'
command.