[Fedora TeX Live] /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map link not always getting created correctly

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 09:46:48 CEST 2011

I'm using TexLive 2010 on 64-bit Fedora 15, and I was having difficulty
using many font packages. As a specific example: I was having the following
issue when I \usepackage{marvosym}:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --dpi 657
umvs
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for umvs.
mktexpk: perhaps umvs is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file umvs): Font umvs at 657 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I investigated a bit more and discovered that
/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map was basically empty -- it
just had the opening comment but no content.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled texlive-marvosym ("yum reinstall" didn't
seem to fix it), and now /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
is a link to pdftex_dl14.map and things seem to be working.

What's going on here?

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~mef3/
Interaction Lab -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/InteractionLab

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity
number SC000278