[Fedora TeX Live] error on upgrade to tl2010, F15

Sebastian Krämer mail at kraymer.de
Sat Jun 4 18:19:51 CEST 2011

On 06/04/2011 05:55 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> Yes. It is caused by the fact that Fedora evince is linked against old
>>> kpathsea library. The new and old kpathsea libraries can not actually
>>> coexist so the only solution is to remove evince-dvi. Then you can
>>> alternatively build evince locally against the new TeX Live.
>>
>> Hello Jindrich,
>>
>> thanks for your reply. I'm not planning on building evince locally and
>> TL2010 isn't that necessary for me, I was rather curious.
>> Do you think it's a valid request for evince to switch to another
>> version, something that could be filed in gnome's or redhat's bugzilla?
>> As I understand it, that would be necessary in the long run anyway.
>>

> Rebuilding evince is trivial. Grab the SRPM and then just "rpmbuild
> --rebuild <pkgname>.  I can post the RPMs someplace for you to pick up
> if you want.

Hello again,

thanks for the offer, Matthew. I didn't really consider rpmbuild tools,
for some reason (maybe I haven't done enough manual compiling on fedora
yet).
I overlooked the fact that removing evince-dvi (only!) works and breaks
the dependency conflict, the rest of evince stays intact. Jindrich, you
mentioned it, but when I replied earlier I hadn't realized this fact.
For now I'll live without dvi support and build from source if the need
arises.

Thanks, folks!

Sebastian

PS: Btw, is there a good writing about what the different texlive
collections contain or which ones to install "first"? I was thinking
about reducing the texlive footprint a little but it's hard to decide
which packages to leave out (from all 380 packages that would get
upgraded as it is right now).

PPS: There was a discussion about this dependency earlier in bugzilla,
bug #426388.