[Fedora TeX Live] hyphenation in texlive 2011?

Pjotr Markevitch pjotr.markevitch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:02:22 CEST 2011

> The file /usr/share/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat says
> german-x-2011-07-01 dehypht-x-2011-07-01.tex
> =german-x-latest
> ngerman-x-2011-07-01 dehyphn-x-2011-07-01.tex
> =ngerman-x-latest
>
> and I don't see how this translates to using language option "ngerman", the
way it does for
> english=usenglish=USenglish=american.
>
> Two questions: why isn't ngerman working, and where are the hyph rules for
croatian.

> Regards,
> Pip

Dear Pip,

I had a Virtualbox install of Fedora 16 RC2 lying around and tried to
reproduce the issue you describe. After a fresh install of TeXLive 2011
without any extra hyphenation patterns, I got the expected 'no hyphenation
patterns found for ...' warning from babel. However, after installing the
texlive-hyphenation-german package (yum install ...), this warning
disappeared. Additionally, the croatian hyphenation patterns can be loaded
after installing the texlive-hyphen-croatian package. Now, the last lines of
the language.dat file are

german loadhyph-de-1901.tex
ngerman loadhyph-de-1996.tex
swissgerman loadhyph-de-ch-1901.tex
croatian loadhyph-hr.tex

If your language.dat or language.def file is broken for some reason, you can
try to fix it by removing both files, removing the base hypen package (texlive-
hyphen-base) and all hyphen packages. You can list the ones that are installed
by issuing

rpm -qa | grep texlive-hyphen

Next, after a reinstall, everything should work. Hence, you should do (as root)

rm -f `kpsewhich language.dat`
rm -f `kpsewhich language.def`
packages=$(rpm -qa | grep texlive-hyphen)

Verify now that 'echo $packages' only lists the hyphen packages, and then do

rpm -e --nodeps $packages
yum -y install $packages

Regards,

Pjotr.