[Fedora TeX Live] f16 texlive 2011 -- updating texlive fails due to file conflicts

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 10 09:38:45 CET 2012

René Genz venit, vidit, dixit 09.02.2012 22:45:
> Hi all,
>
> after installing texlive 2011 on fedora 16 I experience problems using
> fedora 16!
>
> How to reproduce:
> 1. install fedora 16
> 2. install PyX: su -c 'yum install PyX'
> 3. install texlive 2011
> 4. try to update: su -c 'yum update -y'
>

> actual output:
> . ..
> Error: Package: PyX-0.11.1-1.fc16.x86_64 (fedora-updates)
>   Requires: libkpathsea.so.4()(64bit)
>   Removing: kpathsea-2007-66.fc16.x86_64 (fedora)
>   libkpathsea.so.4()(64bit)
>   Obsoleted By: texlive-kpathsea-doc-2011-8.svn24904.noarch (texlive)
>   Not found
>   Available: kpathsea-2007-65.fc16.x86_64 (fedora)
>   libkpathsea.so.4()(64bit)
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>

> workaround:
> 1. su -c 'vi /etc/yum.repos.d/texlive-release.repo'
> 2. change from
> enabled=1
> enabled=0
> 3. su -c 'yum clean all && yum update -y'
>

> problem with workaround:
> updates for texlive cannot be installed!
>

> expected results:
> texlive updates should be installable without file conflicts
>

> Could you fix this problem, please?
> In case I should test some settings, just point me in the direction please.

There is nothing to fix here.

PyX uses libkpathsea, and the version in fedora is older than the
version in texlive. In fact, PyX works fine without libkpathsea, but
better with, and the fedora package therefore requires it.

PyX (the fedora package) needs to be rebuilt with the version in
texlive, and the texlive repo maintainers probably don't want to carry
depedendent packages. You have two options:

A) Use a local PyX copy or svn checkout. PyX releases are not that
frequent, but there is progress on the svn trunk from time to time.
(install anywhere and "export PYTHONPATH=pyxdir:")

B) Rebuild the PyX package: yumdownloader --source PyX and then rebuild.

Cheers
Michael