[Fedora TeX Live] seetexk license

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 19:44:37 CET 2012

On 01/03/2012 01:19 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I know some faculty in Decision, Operations, and Information Technology
> at UMD.  Could someone spell out exactly what is needed?  I can pass the
> request along and probably get it redirected to the right
> administrators.

The seetexk software is currently licensed as follows:

     * Copyright (c) 1987, 1989 University of Maryland
     * Department of Computer Science.  All rights reserved.
     * Permission to copy for any purpose is hereby granted
     * so long as this copyright notice remains intact.

This license is problematic for TeXLive (and Fedora) because it lacks
permission to freely modify and redistribute. There are a few ways that
it could be resolved:

* UMD could give permission for seetexk to be used, modified, and/or
distributed under the terms of a known Free License (e.g. MIT).

or

* UMD could amend the existing license to add the missing permissions,
for example:

     * Copyright (c) 1987, 1989, 2012 University of Maryland
     * Department of Computer Science.  All rights reserved.
     * Permission to copy, modify, and/or distribute for any purpose is
     * hereby granted so long as this copyright notice remains intact.

Hope that makes it clear.

~tom

==
Fedora Project