[Fedora TeX Live] Hyphenation and texlive-scheme-full

Ivo Lopez ivo.ufrj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 18:10:08 CEST 2012

	Hi,

there are more than two years that I am using texlive on Fedora and it is
getting better at each new version.  Thank you for the excellent job.  There is
a minor but persistent problem:

When texlive has some packages updated, it lost the hyphenation support. Let me
explain more:  I have installed Fedora 17 and texlive-scheme-full and everything
was working.  After a recent update of texlive I have observed that the
hyphenation support from babel was lost.  Latex file example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[spanish]{babel}
\begin{document}
   test
\end{document}

I have received the following warning message at the .log file:

"Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for the language
`Spanish' I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead."

To solve this I used:
"yum erase texlive-hyphen-spanish"
"yum install texlive-scheme-full"

After that, the problem is solved.  But if I use again "yum erase
texlive-hyphen-spanish" everything continues to work fine, although I supposed
that it would fail again...

In addition, I have a small suggestion:  when I install texlive-scheme-full it
installs all the available languages and documentation. Consequently the
directory /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc has 240MB from 1.2GB of
/usr/share/texlive.  I suggest that it will be good if there is a package named
like texlive-scheme-full-nodoc, that will not install the packages like
texlive-collection-documentation-*.  I know that texlive-scheme-medium has a
limited number of languages but I think that it is easier to install additional
languages than discover some missing special packages  as  when we use
texlive-scheme-medium.

Best regards,

	Ivo

Hi,

there are more than two years that I am using texlive on Fedora and it is
getting better at each new version.  Thank you for the excellent job.  There is
a minor but persistent problem:

When texlive has some packages updated, it lost the hyphenation support. Let me
explain more:  I have installed Fedora 17 and texlive-scheme-full and everything
was working.  After a recent update of texlive I have observed that the
hyphenation support from babel was lost.  File example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[spanish]{babel}
\begin{document}
   test
\end{document}

I have received the following warning message:

"Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for the language
`Spanish' I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead"

To solve this I used:
"yum erase texlive-hyphen-spanish"
"yum install texlive-scheme-full"

After that, the problem is solved.  But if I use again "yum erase
texlive-hyphen-spanish" everything continues to work fine, although I supposed
that it would fail again...

I have a suggestion:  when I install texlive-scheme-full it installs all the
available languages and documentation. For example, the directory
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc has 240MB from 1.2GB of /usr/share/texlive.  I
suggest that it will be good if there is a package named like
texlive-scheme-full-nodoc, that will not install the packages named like
texlive-collection-documentation-*.

The TeXLive installation has an option to install "all" the packages but the
user can choose the supported languages.  When selecting only some languages it
reduces substantially the installation size and the time spent.

Best regards,

	Ivo