[Fedora TeX Live] Current license review status?

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Sat Sep 1 12:40:31 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:31:24PM +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 02:02:02PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> > On 08/29/2012 11:12 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> > > I'm starting to run into issues with the rather old texlive in Fedora
> > > and I was just wondering how the license review was going.  The last
> > > summary appears to have been in December:
> > > http://www.linux.cz/pipermail/texlive/2011-December/000344.html
> > >
> > > And in that, I see four things which were indicated to be important:
> > >
> > > ec, ec-euro, setspace, texdraw
> >
> > I believe all license issues are now resolved in TeXLive 2012, Jindrich
> > are you aware of any?
>
> I'm currently not aware of any legal show-stoppers for TeX Live 2012.
>
> The only blocker which makes it hard to let TeX Live 2012 be easily
> introduced in Fedora is the Font Packaging Policy [1]. The problem is that
> the current implementation of font packaging macros enforces to have
> all TTF, TTC, PFA, PFB, PCF, OTF files in the same font family to be a
> separate subpackage of the main RPM shipping fonts. The problem is
> that the design of the macros allows only one subpackage per spec.
> It means we need to introduce 174 new packages shipping fonts to
> Fedora before the rest of the TeX Live packages can be introduced
> there.
>
> In case there wouldn't be such restriction for fonts we would need
> just 2 packages to be reviewed/imported to have TeX Live 2012 in
> Fedora (one for binaries, the other for CTAN noarch builds). Also it
> would be much easier to maintain it/syncing it with upstream.
>
> Jindrich
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FontsPolicy

Yet one more thing. In case the mass import will really be needed there is
a list of sample font specs and related SRPMs which are generated from
upstream:

http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/texlive/2012/font-packages/

Feel free to propose any changes in the spec generation so that it
could be improved and ease the review.

Thanks!
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,