[Fedora TeX Live] Current license review status?

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:33:40 CEST 2012

 >|> I think you've misunderstood something. Where does it say that different
 >|> formats of the same font family can't be packaged together?
 >|
 >|Here:
 >|
 >|... current implementation of font packaging macros enforces to have
 >|all TTF, TTC, PFA, PFB, PCF, OTF files in the same font family to be a
 >|separate subpackage of the main RPM shipping fonts. The problem is
 >|that the design of the macros allows only one subpackage per spec.

Your interpretation would have required

 all TTF, TTC, PFA, PFB, PCF, OTF files in the same font family to be
 separate subpackages of the main RPM shipping fonts
                    ^

 >|But it's not excluded that I misunderstood the meaning. Just to make
 >|sure: in TeX live there are two font files:
 >|    <texmf</fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
 >|    <texmf>/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr12.pfb
 >|with exactly the same font, except that one is OpenType and the other
 >|one is Type1. From what I understand these two fonts have to belong to
 >|two different (sub)packages, but do the rules of Fedora allow those
 >|two files to be installed at the same time on someone's machine?

On my F17 system:

/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr12.pfb

 >|TeX fonts shouldn't confuse fontconfig unless fontconfig is configured
 >|to look for fonts in texmf tree.

But also

/usr/share/fonts/tex-lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
/usr/share/fonts/tex-lm/lmr12.pfb

because the former are sym links to the latter. I wouldn't say
fontconfig is confused but any user will be by the dozens of essentially
useless TeX-related fonts that are displayed in, for example, Firefox.
As I said, I've pointed this out to Fedora's font nazi and been
rebuffed. He thinks users want all those fonts in their applications.

Bob T.