[Q] NT40 with an linus ISDN-router

Leos Bitto bitto na atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Pondělí Leden 19 20:15:44 CET 1998

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998 kontakt na wfg-gmbh.de wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have a big problem using an LINUX box as an ISDN router to my
> provider.  The Ethernet behind the router consists of 3xWin95 machines
> and one machine using NT4.0 Workstation.  The router works with synchron
> ppp, ipppd, isdnctrl and ifpwadm.

Do you mean "ipfwadm -M"? IP Masquerading?

> The NT40 WS does the problems. Whenever I boot the machine it has to
> communicate with an machine located outside of the local net.
> My questions are:
>
> - How can I trace which machine(IP) the NT40 machine tries to connect
> to? This should be done on the linux side. There is an option isdnctrl
> -verbose n but where are the debug informations looged??

Try program tcpdump. Use "tcpdump host a.b.c.d" on Linux and boot your
Windows NT; a.b.c.d should be their IP address. You will see what packets
are Windows NT trying to send.

> - How can I suppress those unrequested dialouts from the NT40 machine?
> Is it just a configuration problem

Sorry, this is a czech mailing list, and in Czech republic ISDN costs too
much money to be used, so I don't think anybody here will help you with
configuration of ISDN.

Maybe something as "ipfwadm -Ii deny ..." will help you; but now you
should use tcpdump and than you can plan anything else.

> or is it the nature of NT to behave like this??

Maybe. Ask support na microsoft.com. ;-)

Leos Bitto