Modify former floppy boot disk after recompiling kernel

Jan Klugl jan.klugl na pikebo.cz
Úterý Červenec 25 17:58:34 CEST 2000

rossxu na 127.0.0.1, you UPDATE your e-mail, PLEASE! If anyone wants to
reply directly to you, he cannot.

> My scenario is:
> My Linux Mandrake7 (kernel 2.2.14) Couldn't boot from my hard disk, because
> it couldn't find my hard disk. So, I booted the system using a floppy boot
> disk every time.

What? How it cannot find your disk? %-( but OK, if you want to use
floppies...

> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzdisk

right now I'm not sure about difference between make bzImage and make
bzdisk,
I use make bzImage

> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-1mdklinus
> cd /boot
> rm -f vmlinuz
> ln -fs vmlinux-2.2.14-1mdklinus vmlinuz
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy           #mount my former boot disk
> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
> /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz-2.2.14-1mdklinus
> cd /mnt/floppy
> rm -f vmlinuz
> ln -fs vmlinux-2.2.14-1mdklinus vmlinuz
> umount /mnt/floppy
> ********************************
>
> If I boot the linux with my modified boot disk, I get an error message:
> boot:
> Uncompressing Linux...
> ran out of input data
> --System halted

Yeah, IMHO it's because you boot with LILO-ed diskette, and for LILO
it's
not enough just to rewrite file with kernel. LILO reads raw disk, it
needs
to know about sectors kernel is on. You need -or- to update those infos
for LILO [man lilo], -or-  to create boot disk with only kernel on it
via:
make ... ...
make bzImage
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /dev/fd0
and reboot

> If I boot the linux with my hard disk, or with the new floppy disk created
> by "make bzdisk", I get an error message:

I thought you cannot boot from hdd?

> request_module[block-major-33]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device 21:05
> The second method of booting seems that the kernel has been loaded. So there
> is no problem with the new kernel. The problem is that it can't mount my
> hard disk.

do you have everything needed to mount your root partition in your new
kernel, not as modules? [ext2 filesystem, IDE/SCSI? drivers]

And again: Update your e-mail, _please_!

--

                                    Jan Klügl