NETSTAT

Zdenek Havelka madloki na mail.cz
Neděle Listopad 4 05:29:20 CET 2001

On 02-Nov-2001 Ing. Pavel PaJaSoft Janousek wrote:
>       Na TIME_WAIT kernel 2.2.X IMHO zadny parametr nema, 2.4.X mozna ano,

Viz /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt

kernel 2.4.*

tcp_max_orphans - INTEGER
        Maximal number of TCP sockets not attached to any user file handle,
        held by system. If this number is exceeded orphaned connections are
        reset immediately and warning is printed. This limit exists
        only to prevent simple DoS attacks, you _must_ not rely on this
        or lower the limit artificially, but rather increase it
        (probably, after increasing installed memory),
        if network conditions require more than default value,
        and tune network services to linger and kill such states
        more aggressively. Let me to remind again: each orphan eats
        up to ~64K of unswappable memory.

tcp_orphan_retries - INTEGER
        How may times to retry before killing TCP connection, closed
        by our side. Default value 7 corresponds to ~50sec-16min
        depending on RTO. If you machine is loaded WEB server,
        you should think about lowering this value, such sockets
        may consume significant resources. Cf. tcp_max_orphans.

tcp_fin_timeout - INTEGER
        Time to hold socket in state FIN-WAIT-2, if it was closed
        by our side. Peer can be broken and never close its side,
        or even died unexpectedly. Default value is 60sec.
        Usual value used in 2.2 was 180 seconds, you may restore
        it, but remember that if your machine is even underloaded WEB server,
        you risk to overflow memory with kilotons of dead sockets,
        FIN-WAIT-2 sockets are less dangerous than FIN-WAIT-1,
        because they eat maximum 1.5K of memory, but they tend
        to live longer. Cf. tcp_max_orphans.

kernel 2.2.*

tcp_retries1 - INTEGER
tcp_retries2 - INTEGER