Future: Linux will replace Microsoft Windows getting 98% desktop market!

Bob Raymond guarneri na mindspring.com
Pátek Březen 1 19:26:45 CET 2002

"choxen1" <choxen1 na email.com> wrote in
news:u7vfjfbqoojc41 na corp.supernews.com:

> Linux can give M$ a run for their money in the server market, but it
> will be a long time, if ever, before it can compete in the home
> market. Gnome and KDE are just not ready for prime time and the
> X-Servers are slower than windows. Until Win2k Linux had a shot but
> didn't take advantage of it. Anyone remember OS/2 which was backed by
> a huge corporation, IBM, and is now a foot note in PC history.

X-Servers slower than Windows, GNOME and KDE not ready for prime time?
Not really.  My experience has been that KDE very rarely crashes, I can
configure it any way I wamt to, and I can actually choose between it and
any other window manager (I don't use GNOME very often, but when I do, it
never crashes, I can configure it any way I want to, etc.  Right now,
yes, X11 is running slower than Windows because I have a Radeon 8500,
which doesn't have full support.  But I wonder why I could run the latest
and greatest KDE on my old Rage 128 Pro which currently chokes with
Windows 2000 on a 433mhz Celeron?

And plenty of people use OS/2 even to this day.