Future: Linux will replace Microsoft Windows getting 98% desktop market!

Thomas Stuefe tstuefe na t-online.de
Sobota Květen 4 08:27:36 CEST 2002

Hi,

someone wrote in this thread that linux installation is difficult. I#m not
referring to the OS here, but to additional software.

Under Windows, it is easy to install software. Games, e.g. Run the (usually
Installshield) setup.exe, and everything is there, up to the menu entries
and so on. People expect menu entries and desktop icons to appear after an
installation.

What I would really like is to run windows-based installations
(Installshield) out of the box. Like, buy a game which is published for
Windows, put it in, run setup.exe, then it installs and gives me my menu
entries, and gives me shortcuts and so on to start the game via wine.

Technically, I think we have everything. we have wine, we have a good
directX implementation (transgaming.com). Only setup is much more work than
under windows - I mean, if you want everyone to use Linux, also this part
should be as easy as Linux.

Also, I'd like to see transgamings directX implementation in the distro's,
at least as additional pay package. But that is another topic.

--- Thomas