Future: Linux will replace Microsoft Windows getting 98% desktop market!

Joe Woods jwoods na suomi24.fi
Neděle Květen 5 13:59:51 CEST 2002

I'm sure that in about 5 years or so Linux will be at least as dominant as
Microsoft in the desktop market.

Currently it's geared towards the ultra technically minded person in my
opinion though.

I really love using Linux, but there are so many barriers stopping me using
it permanently. One of the biggest problems is hardware that is not
supported in Linux by the manufacturers, but this is changing rapidly.

What annoys me the most is that hardware that is supported, but not by the
original distribution is really really difficult to get working.

I've been trying to weeks to get a supported wireless network card to work,
there are so many different config files that need editing and so many
packages that need downloading. You download one package, and discover you
can't install it until you've downloaded another package, you download that
package and it can't install because it needs another package etc etc....
You look at the support files on the developer's website and see things like
"The FAQ is very out of  date, do not email us about this, we will ignore
you". You look at another support website, and find a 600 page PDF help
file. If it's possible to simply run setup.exe in Windows and that's
everything installed, why can't this exist in Linux?

I'm now left with a Linux installation on my laptop that just wont get used.
Sure I'll buy the next release and hope it's got configuration for my
specific hardware embedded in the distribution's GUI, but should I really
have to go about things like this? I believe some fundamental changed need
to occur before Linux achieves mass desktop usage.

"rkell557" <rkell557 na ceinetworks.com> wrote in message
news:3ZCA8.79$842.68 na atlpnn01.usenetserver.com...
> Choong,
>
> I'm the director of IS for a medium sized corporation.  We have been
> converting our legacy systems from proprietary platforms to anything that
is
> open.  What I have learned is Microsoft is one of the poorest operating
> systems for mission critical applications that I have ever encountered in
my
> 20 years of working with computers.  If the IBM's and the UNISYS's of the
> world had released an O/S like windows (not even worth capitalizing the
> word), they'd be out of business.  We are constantly doing reboots on our
> servers just because we know windows is going to die.  I used to be a
> pro-Microsoft person, but now there isn't a day that goes by where I'd
like
> to go find Bill Gates and beat the crap out of him.  I've even gone as far
> as writing to my politicians about Microsoft's MONOPOLY.
>
> We have ported several of our mission critical applications to Linux and
> find that it is a very stable operating system.  Heck, we've even found
some
> free applications on sourceforge.net that do a better job than our old MS
> based applications.  Although, I find that Linux is a little difficult to
> configure and find drivers for, it is as stable as the old proprietary
O/S's
> that we used to have on mainframes.  Some of our Linux boxes have been
> running for months without a reboot.  Something that microsoft will never
be
> able to do.
>

> "Choong Kedat Yian" <sunrock na tm.net.my> wrote in message
> news:3CA6ECBC.B222DBF1 na tm.net.my...
> > I started with Mandrake 7 and its only problem is how to configure
Netconf