Re: kernel panic při bootování RH 7.2, 7.3

Ondrej Vorel ondrej.vorel na sklep.fa.cvut.cz
Čtvrtek Duben 10 11:57:30 CEST 2003

A well known issue.

The AMD athlon systems are supported with Red Hat Linux.
However, there may be some issues with Red Hat 6.2 and the
Athlon series chips.  This revolves around the CPUID switch
that Linux uses.

at LILO type:
x86_serial_nr=1
then after booting edit /etc/lilo.conf.
in the top section add the line:
append="x86_serial_nr=1"
then save the file and exit.
then rerun lilo like this:
/sbin/lilo -v -v

then you should be able to reboot successfully.

> Hi all,
> I'm a newbie to linux and I'm trying to install Redhat Linux 6.2. The
> installation run smoothly until finish. But when it's rebooted, it failed
> with error messages something like this:
>
>   CPU : AMD AMD Duron (tm) processor stepping 02
>   Enabling extended fast FPU save and restore... done
>   Disabling CPUID serial number ... General Protection
> fault: 0000
>   CPU : 0

Ted je otazka, jestli stejny problem setrvava i u 7.2 a 7.3..........

Ondrej.