must be in root group

Jaroslav Javor javor na uh-net.cz
Pátek Duben 13 10:13:25 CEST 2001

Hello,

sendmail:
------------
do you have suid bit on /usr/bin/procmail?

chown root /usr/bin/procmail
chmod u+s /usr/bin/procmail
(Not good but quick. It's better to run it under other user but it's a
little bit complicated.)

chmod u+w,a+tx  /usr/spool/mail

In standart instalation of sendmail are the owner of files in
/var/spool/mail their user and group is usually set on mail. If sendmail and
procmail are owned by  root with suid bit, they can write and read to/from
every file.
But it's not much secure!!! Implicitly, I think,
sendmail uses rights of user and group "mail".

You can eventualy send more error messages, but I think your problem is -
rights.

POP3
Is it running under user who can read/write files in /var/spool/mail?

JJ