"startup" of smtp connection timeout

Neil W Rickert rickert+nn na cs.niu.edu
Středa Únor 12 05:39:41 CET 2003

"Jeremy Fitz" <jeremyfitz na hotmail.com> writes:

>In order to debug this problem, I'd like to understand what sendmail is
>doing during "startup".

Basically, it is doing:

  gethostbyaddr(ip-address)		lookup the hostname
  gethostbyname(hostname)		cross check hostname to see if forged
  identd callback
  run the check_relay ruleset

The identd callback should take no longer than 30 seconds on sendmail-8.9.3
or earlier, and 5 seconds on 8.10.0 and later.

The most likely problems are DNS lookup delays for gethostbyaddr()
or the subsequent gethostbyname(), or DNS lookups done in
the check_relay ruleset (mostly dnsbl lookups).

Maybe there can be a delay if your aliases map needs rebuilding.
Run "newaliases" just in case this is the problem.  >doing during
"startup".  Can anyone point me to information on this topic -