"startup" of smtp connection timeout

Neil W Rickert rickert+nn na cs.niu.edu
Čtvrtek Únor 13 01:01:50 CET 2003

"Jeremy Fitz" <jeremyfitz na hotmail.com> writes:

>Is the gethostbyaddr executed via a reverse DNS lookup?

Yes.

>- what is done with the result?

It is used to set ${client_name}

>- what happens if the reverse lookup doesn't return anything (isn't
>populated for my host), or returns the incorrect result?

The failure is indicated in ${client_resolve}, and ${client_name} is
set to [ip-address]

>- could this account for delayed or non-successful "startup"?

The time taken for the lookup is the problem.  Failed lookups often
take longer than successful lookups (retries at several
nameservers).

>How is a "forged" address detected via the gethostbyname() call?

The ip addresses from gethostbyname should include the original ip
address.  Otherwise DNS spoofing might be in use.