[Fedora TeX Live] "Ghost maps" otf-noEmbed.map, ptex-noEmbed.map

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 6 17:43:48 CET 2011

Norbert Preining venit, vidit, dixit 06.12.2011 17:33:
> Hi Michael,
>
> (I am NOT on this list, so if you answer, please cc)
>
> I was pointed at this thread by Mojca, ...
>
> On Mo, 05 Dez 2011, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> ERROR:  The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
>>         otf-noEmbed.map ptex-noEmbed.map
>
>> Where does updmap get the idea from that these are required?
>
> It seems that you are not using the upstream TeX Live, but Fedora
> packaging. In this case, it seems that there is a bug in the
> Fedora packaging which is very simply to describe:
>
> In TeX Live we have a configuration file updmap.cfg (and some other
> for those the same discussion applies). This updmap.cfg contains
> all references to *ALL* fonts/font packs/map files in *ALL* of TeX Live.
>
> In upstream TeX Live, the real one as you get it from TUG, this
> file is not actually used, but on installation another updmap.cfg is
> generated in TEXMFSYSCONFIG, which contains *ONLY* the fonts/font maps
> that are actually installed.
>
> Now if the packaging for a distribution allows for partial installation,
> then the distribution packagers have also to make sure that the updmap.cfg
> file (as well as language.dat, language.def, language.dat.lua, fmtutil.cnf)
> are updated dynamically according to the set of installed packages,
> as described in the the execute lines in the tlpdb.
>
> Bottom line for you: Either install everything, or complain to the
> packager of TeX Live.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Constructive "complaining" is what I am trying. Note though that these
entries survive an "updmap-sys --syncwithtrees" run. So it is possible,
if not likely, that updmap-sys has problems syncing (here: disabling)
those map entries which use a macro/option/variable/whateveryoucalledit
in their name, since they come from this snippet:

KanjiMap otf- at kanjiEmbed@.map
#! KanjiMap otf-cktx.map
#! KanjiMap morisawa.map
KanjiMap ptex- at kanjiEmbed@.map

(That's also what spoiled my first grep attempts.)

Michael