[Fedora TeX Live] "Ghost maps" otf-noEmbed.map, ptex-noEmbed.map

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Dec 6 17:33:46 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

(I am NOT on this list, so if you answer, please cc)

I was pointed at this thread by Mojca, ...

On Mo, 05 Dez 2011, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> ERROR:  The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
>         otf-noEmbed.map ptex-noEmbed.map

> Where does updmap get the idea from that these are required?

It seems that you are not using the upstream TeX Live, but Fedora
packaging. In this case, it seems that there is a bug in the
Fedora packaging which is very simply to describe:

In TeX Live we have a configuration file updmap.cfg (and some other
for those the same discussion applies). This updmap.cfg contains
all references to *ALL* fonts/font packs/map files in *ALL* of TeX Live.

In upstream TeX Live, the real one as you get it from TUG, this
file is not actually used, but on installation another updmap.cfg is
generated in TEXMFSYSCONFIG, which contains *ONLY* the fonts/font maps
that are actually installed.

Now if the packaging for a distribution allows for partial installation,
then the distribution packagers have also to make sure that the updmap.cfg
file (as well as language.dat, language.def, language.dat.lua, fmtutil.cnf)
are updated dynamically according to the set of installed packages,
as described in the the execute lines in the tlpdb.

Bottom line for you: Either install everything, or complain to the
packager of TeX Live.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining                preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan                                   TeX Live and Debian Developer
gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
`I think you ought to know that I'm feeling very
depressed.'
`Life, don't talk to me about life.'
`Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to
take you down to the bridge. Call that "job satisfaction"?
'Cos I don't.'
`I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my
left side.'
                 --- Guess who.