[Fedora TeX Live] texlive-hyphen-english contains no files

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 14:12:28 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 08:44:26PM +0100, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> rpm -qil texlive-hyphen-english
> Name        : texlive-hyphen-english
> Version     : 2011
> Release     : 4.svn23092.fc16
> Architecture: noarch
> Install Date: Sun Dec 11 20:39:28 2011
> Group       : Unspecified
> Size        : 0
> License     : LPPL
> Signature   : (none)
> Source RPM  : texlive-hyphen-english-2011-4.svn23092.fc16.src.rpm
> Build Date  : Wed Dec  7 10:01:36 2011
> Build Host  : dhcp-31-95.brq.redhat.com
> Relocations : (not relocatable)
> Summary     : English hyphenation patterns
> Description :
> Additional hyphenation patterns for American and British
> English in ASCII encoding.  The American English patterns
> (usenglishmax) greatly extend the standard patterns from Knuth
> to find many additional hyphenation points.  British English
> hyphenation is completely different from US English, so has its
> own set of patterns.
> (contains no files)
>
> Which is quite different from tl-hyphen-german, say. I'd expect at least
> ukhyphen.def to come in. But:
> ls /usr/share/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/
>
> dehyphn.tex  dehyphtex.tex  dehypht.tex  dumyhyph.tex  ghyphen.README
> hyphen.tex  hypht1.tex  zerohyph.tex
>
> What is going on?
>
> Michael

upstream uses packages shipping no files just to make a certain action
after installing it. You noted hyphen-english. This is how upstream
metadata looks like:

---

name hyphen-english
category TLCore
revision 23092
shortdesc English hyphenation patterns.
relocated 1
longdesc Additional hyphenation patterns for American and British
longdesc English in ASCII encoding.  The American English patterns
longdesc (usenglishmax) greatly extend the standard patterns from Knuth
longdesc to find many additional hyphenation points.  British English
longdesc hyphenation is completely different from US English, so has its
longdesc own set of patterns.
depend hyphen-base
depend hyph-utf8
execute AddHyphen       name=ukenglish synonyms=british,UKenglish lefthyphenmin=2         righthyphenmin=3 file=loadhyph-en-gb.tex         file_patterns=hyph-en-gb.pat.txt file_exceptions=hyph-en-gb.hyp.txt
execute AddHyphen       name=usenglishmax       lefthyphenmin=2 righthyphenmin=3        file=loadhyph-en-us.tex file_patterns=hyph-en-us.pat.txt file_exceptions=hyph-en-us.hyp.txt

---

Note that there are no files shipped by this package. All relevant is
in hyphen-base and hyph-utf8. The sole purpose of this package is just
to add these hyphenation patterns to language.dat once the package is
installed.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,