[Fedora TeX Live] Stable TeX Live 2010 repository has been set up

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Thu Feb 3 08:53:37 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 02:18:13PM -0500, Ted Pavlic wrote:
> >   It is exactly the official TeX Live 2010 release from last summer and
> >   I'm not planning any substantial modifications to this repo and updates
> >   are going to be very rare.
> >
> >If the texlive developers update 2010 packages, so should you. The
> >recent problems have to do with 2011 development, not with 2010 updates.
>
> From what I read on the tex-live list, the TeXLive developers seem
> to agree. No one there endorses TL2011/dev being used in any sort of
> official release, and TL2011/dev seems to essentially be hidden from
> the TL community at large at the moment.

The thing in question is the TL2011/dev binaries which are really
under development and shouldn't be used for production. Just for
testing or feature preview. All the styles/font packages, etc. are
from CTAN. Using latest CTAN packages is actually preferable as they
are developed separately and their upstream releases are independent
on TeX Live.

> [ Having said that, TL2007 is technically the only "official" Fedora
> TeXLive distribution. Plus, it is likely (??) that TL2011 will be
> released at, around, or before FC15 (and certainly FC16), and so I'm
> guessing that's the reason why TL2010 is being abandoned. ]

The main reason is to provide a stable recent TeX Live release you can
rely on. I will update the TL2010 repository with new packaging
features that may help but I will not update binaries and
styles/fonts, etc. to a newer versions.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,