[Fedora TeX Live] texlive + matlab - mex conflicts

Trutwin, Joshua JTRUTWIN at csbsju.edu
Thu Feb 10 20:16:28 CET 2011

> Big packages like MATLAB, especially ones that install their own libc or Java,
> should really be in /opt.  See http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-
> 2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES

Yeah actually it does thankfully install to /opt/matlab-r2010a but then the RPM creates symlinks in /usr/bin/ for matlab and mex so I'm thinking I'll do like you recommend and create an /opt/bin that's in the path ahead of /usr/bin

> In your case, Joshua, you should also probably put /opt/bin earlier in the path
> so that MATLAB users get the mex from MATLAB.  I'm assuming that you
> don't have a large need to typesetting Polish in Minnesota.

Well I am of Polish descent so who knows?  ;)

> This is still only a stop-gap to fix the real problem.  Would it be possible to
> rename the 'mex' in texlive-mex-bin to 'dvimex'?

+1

> Tony

Thanks for your help,

Josh