[Fedora TeX Live] pdflatex uses bitmap Computer Modern; should use scalable

Ben Liblit liblit at acm.org
Fri Mar 11 17:42:43 CET 2011

Problem fixed, sort of, though I still don't know how it arose in the
first place.  The scalable
"/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb"
font is provided by the texlive-amsfonts package.  I removed that ("rpm
-e --nodeps texlive-amsfonts") then reinstalled it.  Now the "cmr10
CMR10 <cmr10.pfb" line does appear in
"/usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map" and
pdflatex correctly uses it instead of bitmap fonts.

Apparently some content in
"/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/amsfonts/cm.map" was
supposed to be incorporated into
"/usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map", but
wasn't.  There may be a problem with the sciptlets used by the
texlive-amsfonts package, which presumably are also used by many other
TeXLive font packages.  I guess at this point I should remove and
reinstall any TeXLive package that contains a "*.map" file to make sure
I've picked up whatever else might be missing.

That doesn't really explain how this got broken in the first place,
though.  And since the result of this problem is a subtle degradation in
document quality, there's no telling how many other people might be
affected by it too without knowing anything has gone wrong....