[Fedora TeX Live] Wrong permissions for updmap

wodzicki at math.berkeley.edu wodzicki at math.berkeley.edu
Sun May 1 00:02:53 CEST 2011

Having experienced exactly the same problems after April 17 upgrade as
described in the previous thread, I removed all texlive-* packages from my
Fedora 14, executed 'yum clean all', as recommended by Jiři, and then
installed

  http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/texlive/2010/packages.f14/texlive-release.noarch.rpm

following the link provided at

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive

in order to install TeXLive 2010 stable from scratch.

That texlive-release package must be obsolete since yum returns errors
about not finding any mirrors when I try to install any texlive packages.

I decided thus to install TeXLive 2011 development. After installing
roughly the same packages I had in my system before the April 17 bug, I
ran updmap and got the following error message:

$ updmap
bash: /usr/bin/updmap: Permission denied

updmap is a symbolic link to:

  /usr/share/texlive/texmf/scripts/tetex/updmap.pl

and that last file was created non-executable (!)

$ ls -g /usr/share/texlive/texmf/scripts/tetex/updmap.pl
-rw-r--r--. 1 root 36276 Mar 25 02:05
/usr/share/texlive/texmf/scripts/tetex/updmap.pl

I manually changed the permissions to -rwxrwxrwx .

Mariusz