[Fedora TeX Live] Support for ConTeXt

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:59:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 03:38, Ezequiel Birman wrote:

> Please, where should I place manually installed packages system-wide?
>
> Should I just copy to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ or may I simply
> replace that dir by symlinking /usr/loca/share/texmf (where I used to
> install to) to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local?

Has /usr/local/share/texmf traditionally been part of TEXMF? TeX
doesn't really care where you put the files as long as that path is
part of TEXMF variable.

If TEXMFLOCAL is set to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local, you should put
files there. If TEXMFLOCAL is set to /usr/local/share/texmf, then you
should put files to that location.

Symlinks would work, but I don't see any reason for having symlinks on
the system unless you have some special needs. If
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-local is not the right place to put files (if
most users agree that /usr/local/share/texmf is better for local
additions), then it might be better to change TEXMFLOCAL. TeX geeks
will have slightly more problems to figure out where TEXMFLOCAL lives
if it is completely separated from the main tree, but the real geeks
will find it anywhere.

Mojca