[Fedora TeX Live] Support for ConTeXt

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:29:49 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 15:59 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 03:38, Ezequiel Birman wrote:
> >
> > Please, where should I place manually installed packages system-wide?
> >
> > Should I just copy to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ or may I simply
> > replace that dir by symlinking /usr/loca/share/texmf (where I used to
> > install to) to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local?
>
> Has /usr/local/share/texmf traditionally been part of TEXMF? TeX
> doesn't really care where you put the files as long as that path is
> part of TEXMF variable.
>
> If TEXMFLOCAL is set to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local, you should put
> files there. If TEXMFLOCAL is set to /usr/local/share/texmf, then you
> should put files to that location.
>
> Symlinks would work, but I don't see any reason for having symlinks on
> the system unless you have some special needs. If
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local is not the right place to put files (if
> most users agree that /usr/local/share/texmf is better for local
> additions), then it might be better to change TEXMFLOCAL. TeX geeks
> will have slightly more problems to figure out where TEXMFLOCAL lives
> if it is completely separated from the main tree, but the real geeks
> will find it anywhere.

Currently, it is /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local (at least in the RHEL
TexLive repo), but I was under the impression that /usr/* other
than /usr/local should be under package management and that unmanaged
files should be restricted to /usr/local.  Otherwise, reinstalls thta
reformat /usr could delete unmanaged files with no way to preserve
them.
--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences