[Fedora TeX Live] Support for ConTeXt

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:01:30 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 17:29, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 15:59 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 03:38, Ezequiel Birman wrote:
>> >
>> > Please, where should I place manually installed packages system-wide?
>> >
>> > Should I just copy to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ or may I simply
>> > replace that dir by symlinking /usr/loca/share/texmf (where I used to
>> > install to) to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local?
>>
>> Has /usr/local/share/texmf traditionally been part of TEXMF? TeX
>> doesn't really care where you put the files as long as that path is
>> part of TEXMF variable.
>>
>> If TEXMFLOCAL is set to /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local, you should put
>> files there. If TEXMFLOCAL is set to /usr/local/share/texmf, then you
>> should put files to that location.
>>
>> Symlinks would work, but I don't see any reason for having symlinks on
>> the system unless you have some special needs. If
>> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local is not the right place to put files (if
>> most users agree that /usr/local/share/texmf is better for local
>> additions), then it might be better to change TEXMFLOCAL. TeX geeks
>> will have slightly more problems to figure out where TEXMFLOCAL lives
>> if it is completely separated from the main tree, but the real geeks
>> will find it anywhere.
>
> Currently, it is /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local (at least in the RHEL
> TexLive repo), but I was under the impression that /usr/* other
> than /usr/local should be under package management and that unmanaged
> files should be restricted to /usr/local.  Otherwise, reinstalls thta
> reformat /usr could delete unmanaged files with no way to preserve
> them.

When I suggested to create support for /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local,
I wasn't aware of conventions of RedHat packaging.

If it is indeed undesirable to use /usr/share for local additions,
feel free to change texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua to point to another
path (and document somewhere where this path is).

Mojca