[Fedora TeX Live] Palatino font issue

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 08:07:03 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 08:08:34PM +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> Dear all,
> Latest texlive 2010 on F16 and I get
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 pplrij8r
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for pplrij8r.
> mktexpk: perhaps pplrij8r is missing from the map file.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> (see the transcript file for additional information)
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file pplrij8r): Font pplrij8r at 600 not found
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> Again, I'd prefer if bitmap fonts were not used.  Is this another case
> of fonts missing from a map file?  In this case it's the well used
> palatino typeface.
>
> I'd provide more information but I've still not gotten my head around
> TeX fonts.

It looks like upstream problem here. The metadata for palatino package
lacks any AddMap or AddMixedMap commands so no action is triggered WRT
MAP files on installation. This is OK from the metadata interpretation
point of view (downstream) but not from upstream packaging.

Furthermore palatino package contains only one map file -> upl.map. It
is worth reporing as a bug to tex-live at tug.org IMO.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,