[Fedora TeX Live] hyphenation in texlive 2011?

pip pip at net.hr
Sun Oct 23 10:53:52 CEST 2011

Dear all,
I can't get hyphenation working in any language I tried on my installation of texlive 2011 under Fedora 16. I'm not sure if it worked before, as I wasn't paying too much attention (esp. to the compilation log).

I need croatian hyphenation rules, but those seem not to exist in texlive-collection-langcroatian. Therefore I tried ngerman. And the result was:

Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for the language `ngerman'

The file /usr/share/texlive/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat says
german-x-2011-07-01 dehypht-x-2011-07-01.tex
=german-x-latest
ngerman-x-2011-07-01 dehyphn-x-2011-07-01.tex
=ngerman-x-latest

and I don't see how this translates to using language option "ngerman", the way it does for english=usenglish=USenglish=american.

Two questions: why isn't ngerman working, and where are the hyph rules for croatian.

Regards,
Pip